Armstrong Flooring S-462 Seal Strong to create a moisture barrier between an unheated porous concrete slab and Armstrong resilient flooring for concrete substrates with up to 100% relative humidity. Typically, one coat is required to fully seal porous substrate. Seal Strong S462 is a solvent-free 2-part epoxy system for use when moisture mitigation is required before installing Armstrong commercial or residential resilient floors over high moisture concrete. The A & B Moisture Mitigation System includes Part A resin and Part B hardener, which nets 1.65 gallons. Working time is approximately 20 minutes at 70°F. Full cure is achieved in minimum of 4 hours. Armstrong S-462 Seal Strong can be applied under Armstrong S-463 Level Strong or S-466 Patch Strong when the concrete substrate requires pre-smoothing. Priming the surface, with Armstrong Flooring S-465 NP Prime Strong, after leveling or patching will be required.
Subfloor Requirements & Preparation:
- Seal Strong Moisture Mitigation System bonds well to porous concrete subfloor with moisture limits up to 100% RH per ASTM F-2170 or 25 lbs/1000 sf/ 24 hours per ASTM F-1869.
- Coverage at 10 mils: 250-270 sf per mixed unit
- Coverage at 14 mils: 170-190 sf per mixed unit.
- VOC Content is 19.9 g/L (Parts A+B combined); ASTM D2369.
- Carefully read and follow all cautions and warnings on product label, information sheet and for complete safety information, refer to the Safety Data Sheet.
- Information Sheet for Armstrong S-462
- S-462 Seal Strong SDS for parts A & B
- Apply using a notched squeegee and short nap roller, or for uneven surfaces use a long nap roller and a paint brush.
- Wear protective gloves, clothing, eye and face wear.
- Contains epoxy constituents that may produce an allergic reaction. Take appropriate precautions.
- Clean tools in water immediately after use.
- Shelf life is 12 months unopened.
- DO NOT FREEZE. NOT freeze-thaw stable.
- Replaces Armstrong S-452 Seal Strong.
- For professional use only.
- Contact Armstrong Technical Support for application and use questions related to S-462 Seal Strong.
Before applying S-462 Seal Strong, test for moisture, temperature, dew point and tensile strength according to S-462 Seal Strong Technical Information sheet instructions. Subfloors must be porous, smooth, sound, clean and free of any contaminants which may hinder adhesion. Surface treatments and adhesive residue must be mechanically removed. Acid etching, solvents, sweeping compounds, adhesive removers and sanding are not acceptable methods for cleaning the substrate. Do not use on gypsum-based substrates.
For uneven substrates that cannot provide a uniform film thickness of S-462, substrate can be pre-smoothed with Armstrong S-466 Patch Strong. Abide by guidelines for treating substrate concrete joints and cracks as detailed in the S-462 Technical Information sheet. For unique circumstances or with question about substrate suitability or prep, contact Armstrong Technical Support before starting work.Application Overview:
- Prior to mixing Part A and Part B, first thoroughly stir the contents of the Armstrong Seal Strong Part A
container (resin). Next, pour the entire contents of the Armstrong Seal Strong Part B container (hardener) into the Part A container. Mix the blend for a minimum of 3 minutes using a low speed drill and epoxy paddle. Next, pour a portion of the blended epoxy back into the Part B container, and mix again for 30 seconds. Next, return all material back to the Part A container and mix again for 30 seconds.
- After thoroughly mixing, immediately pour the entire contents of the container onto the prepared concrete surface. Mixed material left in mixing container will generate heat. If this occurs, do not touch container. Close lid loosely and carry container by handle to a cool space or to outdoors until it sets and cools.
- Apply the Seal Strong Moisture Mitigation mixture evenly across the area, spreading with recommended application tools to appropriate thickness- 10 mils thick when flooring underlayment will be 1/4 inch thick or less and 14 mils thick for applications that will receive a flooring underlayment greater than 1/4 inch thick. Avoid moving too fast to allow the mixed S-462 compound to saturate the concrete surface.
- Backroll immediately to evenly distribute and avoid puddling. Follow complete instructions to avoid pinholes and achieve fully sealed concrete. If it appears a second coat will be needed, contact Armstrong Flooring Technical Support for further instruction.
- If sand broad cast is required, do so while Seal Strong application is still wet (after approx 20 minutes) then proceed as indicated in detailed application instructions. Primer is not required prior to installing the Armstrong Flooring underlayment when sand broadcasting for underlayment greater than 1/4 inch thick.
- For applications of underlayment up to 1/4 inch thick, allow a dry time of 4 hours (max 20 hours) at 70°F before priming with Armstrong S-465 NP Prime Strong.
- Properly dispose of leftover moisture mitigation compound because mixed S-462 will generate heat in the mixing container. Pour excess compound onto disposable surfaces at a thickness no greater than 1/4 inch. Dispose of it, in accordance with federal, state and local waste disposal regulations, when fully cured.